Found a band-aid for the player-bouncing thing. Still not sure why it happened, but made it stop. That bit with the updraft, too. It turned out to be not at all related to the bouncing; I suspect that I have a misconception about the use of particle effects in this engine, but I still made it not happen anymore. The charging behavior for the boss turned out to be way easier than I was expecting; not sure why I put it off so long. Implemented the sake-inventory thing, too.
Upon thinking that I had finally eliminated all bugs, I decided to play through with god-mode turned off to see if I needed to place more sake bottles around the level. I discovered several problems.
1) Thugs don’t get close enough to attack, since I implemented that “don’t stand on top of the player” behavior.
2) The samurai, for the most part, just jumps over the player instead of attacking him. I’ll need to figure out a different way to control the probability of his jump.
3) The player’s sword doesn’t have a time delay on it, so you could conceivably click on the samurai really quickly, before he even got the chance to attack you.
4) I’ve got a feeling that this bug has always been there, but only shows up every once in a while. Something happened when the boss charged at the player and threw him into the firepit; the player seemed frozen, and wouldn’t respond to any keystrokes. I’m not sure if he was stuck inside that little black block by the firepit, or if something happened and his “set ignoring input” never got turned off after the throw.
1) Sword angle placement
2) Angle limiter (I tried this briefly, it’s not going to be as easy as I first thought)
3) Change cursor to indicate enemies-in-range
4) Dead bodies when enemy killed
5) Invulnerability after being hit (this should go hand in hand with the sword delay, I think. In fact, instead of a sword delay, I should just give the enemies the same invulnerability after *they* get hit
So, the new EXE is based off of all this. It works splendidly so long as you play with god mode. I’ll get to the rest later. World cup game today, USA vs. England, I might take a break from coding to watch it.