January 2011


It’s time to start thinking about this a little more, I think.
I ran into a problem wherein the game engine I was using just isn’t designed for a really integral part of what I wanted my game to be like. I could either change the game, or find a new way to program it, and I decided to opt for the latter. Did some more looking around, got discouraged, and placed the project on hiatus.
I’ve been playing a lot of indie games recently (Sutef, K.O.L.M. for examples) and am starting to rethink my project. Maybe a tile-based platformer wouldn’t be so bad after all. In fact, I could make it tile-based, and maybe display a layer of art on top of the tiles so that it wouldn’t necessarily *look* tile-based. I’m still not sure, but I think I might use the veritable treasure-trove of free time I’ll have on deployment later this year to put some more effort into this. One of the guys at work is also an amateur game programmer, and one of my friends from my last command who is into software development in a big way is about to transfer. Not that I’m looking for a partnership with either of them, at least not at the moment, but I’ve got people I can use as sounding boards for ideas. So, for now, let’s just call this something I’ll be saving for the future.
Maybe in the meantime, I’ll work on the storyline and level design a little more. If I can get it cleaned-up enough, I’ll consider posting stuff on here, just for fun.